.

Montville Neighbor Reports House Fire, Prevents 'Worse' Situation

The fire only spread to the outside side of the house. It was caused by hot ashes dumped into a plastic garbage can.

On Saturday night, Montville Police and Fire Department responded to a fire on Asa Street.

Monville Fire Chief James Downey said that they received the call sometime between 9 – 9:30 p.m. and it “was pretty much just vinyl siding on the side of the house that got caught” on fire and was “contained to just the outside of the house.”

He added that for the bulk of the fire, “police officers actually knocked it down as I was getting there and we pulled the siding off, hosed it all down to make sure it was out and not (going to spread).”

It took about an hour to take care of the fire and ashes. The fire started when hot ashes from the fireplace was put into a plastic garbage can. The hot ashes started the fire, melted the garbage can and spread to the side of the house, said Downey.

A neighbor saw it and called it in.

“Good thing the neighbor caught it or it would have been a whole lot worse,” said Downey, adding that there was only smoke damage and the siding will have to be replaced.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something