- Incumbent Novi has lived in Montville for 14 years
- Age: 43
- Family: Married to Sal Vito, 17 years; two sons ages 7 and 11 who attend Montville Township public schools
- What is your education background? J.D., New York Law School; B.A., English Literature, Montclair State University.
- Why do you think you are qualified for this position? I have served on the Montville Township Board of Education since 2010. During my term, I have worked hard to develop collaborative relationships with my fellow board members; with the administration and with members of the community. I believe that I have proven that I am dedicated to helping the district provide a superior education. I have served on the Curriculum, Instruction and Technology Committee (I presently serve as the Chair); on the Communications Committee; as liaison to the Valley View PTC; and to the Morris County School Boards Association. I have travelled to Trenton to take part in a gathering of school board members from all over the state to exchange ideas about effective school board governance; and have met with state legislators to discuss the challenges facing our educational community. I understand educational issues, the financial issues we face as a taxpaying community; and the concerns of a parent of children enrolled in this district.
- Why are you running for this elected office? I am committed to being involved in my children’s school community to help ensure a high quality public school education which is delivered in a fiscally responsible manner.
- What are the three issues that most concern you? Continuing to help the district move the district forward academically so that it provides the type of education that our school children need to be successful as they move on towards college and the work world; helping to continue the movement towards a cultural shift which encourages academic excellence and a reduction in the stress upon our youngsters to meet superficial benchmarks which have little correlation to their eventual ability to become successful, productive members of society; working with the administration to develop responsible budgets which keep the concerns of taxpayers in mind while continuing to push the district forward academically.
- Explain your proposed approach to managing these issues. I believe that it is important to listen to the concerns of parents, students, our educators to understand what the district needs to accomplish these goals. I keep abreast of developments in education, education funding and other related areas to ensure that I am prepared to be a positive and productive force on the Board. I work collaboratively with my fellow Board members and administration so that the work of the board as a policymaking and enforcing entity can be accomplished.
- Have you held elected office before? Please provide details of what position and for how long. I am an incumbent running in this election. This is the only elected office I have held.
organizations do you belong to?
· Sitting member, Montville Township Board of Education, 2010 – Present. Chair of the Curriculum, Instruction and Technology Committee. Member of the Communications Committee.
· Former Chair, Montville Township Residents with Disabilities Advisory Committee, 2006 – 2008; Chair, 2007-2008.
· Valley View School PTA, Career Day coordinator and presenter, 2011 - 2013.
· Member, Kiwanis Club of Montville, 2003 – Present; Secretary of Correspondence, 2005 – 2008; Co-Chair, Community Outreach Committee and Families in Need Committee, 2004 – 2007
· Co-Founder and Vice-President, Towaco Civic Association, March 2006 – 2011
· Volunteer Attorney, Essex County Volunteer Lawyers for Justice, 2004 – 2011, and Partners for Women & Justice, 2007 – 2011.
· Guest lecturer on Domestic Violence, New Jersey City University (2000).
· Co-Founder and Treasurer, Mid-Town Children’s Fund, Inc. from 1998 – 2000, non-profit organization providing financial support to needy children in her hometown of Union City, NJ
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something