$1K Reward Offered for Montville Schools Bomb Threat Information
Morris County CrimeStoppers hoping to find out who was responsible for three separate threats in a week.
Morris County CrimeStoppers is hoping to help Montville Township Public Schools get to the bottom of who was responsible for three separate bomb threats to Montville schools in one week earlier this month by offering a $1,000 reward for information, according to NJ.com.
The first bomb threat, on March 5, was written and found inside the Robert R. Lazar Middle School, causing a school evacuation as local police and county officials searched the school. In what Montville Township Police Capt. Rudy Appelmann called a "copycat" incident, Cedar Hill Elementary School was evacuated on March 8 after a similar threat was made. The following Monday, Hilldale Elementary School was also evacuated for a written threat found on a bathroom wall.
Appelmann said he believes the incidents are separate and unique to each school, with the threats coming from inside the schools.
Superintendent of Schools Dr. Paul Fried has sent letters home to parents asking them to speak with their kids and the school district has partnered with police to bring assemblies to the schools about the disturbance such threats cause and the consequences that can be imposed on those who made the threats. Also as a result of the threats, Fried said new procedures which have students signing in and out of the classroom when using restrooms and not bringing writing utensils with them will be put in place.
The county CrimeStoppers are offering the reward to anyone who provides information that leads to arrests of those who made the threats, NJ.com reported. Fried has also said the district would pursue disciplinary action.